Teaching Assistantships

The Department of World Languages at the University of Arkansas offers graduate work leading to the M.A. degrees in French, German, Spanish and Comparative Literature, as well as supporting the M.F.A in Translation and the Ph.D. in Comparative Literature. An experienced and versatile faculty provide knowledgeable instruction and personal attention in small class settings, notably in advanced language skills, philology, pedagogy, in the literature and cultures of the language areas mentioned above. Teaching certification is also available.

Teaching Assistantships are available for the academic year, that is, from late August to early May. The yearly stipend is currently $16,000. In addition, Teaching Assistants receive a grant from the University covering tuition expenses. Graduate Assistants teach two sections of elementary or intermediate language each semester, while enrolled in one of the M.A. programs in the World Languages department or one of the graduate programs in Comparative Literature or Translation. Normally, Teaching Assistants are expected to enroll in three graduate courses (nine credit hours) each semester in their chosen field of study. Candidates for the M.A. degrees in French, German, and Spanish are given preference in the selection of Assistants, though candidates for the other advanced degrees are strongly encouraged to apply.

In general, applications for assistantships should be submitted by February 1st. While applications will be accepted as long as vacancies exist, we strongly urge early application. Summer teaching assistantships are also often available - check with the appropriate graduate advisor. On-campus student housing and child day care are also options for interested graduate students.

International applicants seeking a teaching assistantship must demonstrate satisfactory English proficiency. Results of the TOEFL test must be received before admittance application to Graduate School can be considered. Note also that a TSE score of 50 is required in order to be granted a teaching assistantship.


Fill out my online form.